Friday, April 24, 2015

ORC Week 4

Hello!  If you are new here, the One Room Challenge is hosted by Linda at Calling It Home.  She chooses 20 Design bloggers to decorate a room in 6 short weeks.  They post updates on Wednesdays, and anyone with a blog can play along, and link up on Thursdays.  You can see my previous weeks here:  Week 1Week 2Week 3

I had a mini panic attack this morning when I woke up, thinking it was week 5, and I only had one week left.  Thank goodness it's only week 4!!

I've made a lot of progress, but nothing is really finished.  It's kind of discouraging.  But last week I promised some teasers so I have to show you something.

Linen closet is slow going.  I've decided I want it to have a 'Black-and-White-Scandanavian-Graphic" style to it.  Emptying it all at once isn't an option because I have no where to put everything that an animal wouldn't sleep on it or a toddler wouldn't get into everything, so I've been taking it one shelf at a time, and used the inside of the door to try out the design I'm planning on using on the visible side:


Mint Art Deco Door



I'm almost done painting the ceiling:


Twilight Afterglow Ceiling Detail Next to

What do  you think these are for?

Krylon Looking Glass Spray Painted Arrows

This is a piece of what I'll be using to build the vanity mirror frame:

Outside Corner Molding Painted Brass


I know it isn't terribly interesting, but it's all coming along.  Plus, I promised.


I need to decide on the finishing touches or I'm going to run out of time.  Hey, you guys all have amazing taste, maybe you can help.

I have the doors and trim primed and painted white.  Should I paint design the same Midnight Oil as the vanity, as I originally planned, or black, like the hallway doors and my inspiration pic from last week?

Should the Gold Geometric Sharpie "Wallpaper" Design wrap around to include the closet nook wall or just be on the wall with the entry door in it?

What should I use for art? Square or round frames to balance all the sharp edges?  Gallery/plate wall?  Leave simple and minimal?  I have some beautiful, vintage kimono fabric I was planning on framing.  Too chinoiserie? I also have shelves I could hang.  I'm trying to stay away from the ocean/sea/nautical decor and I don't think a "Wash, Brush, Flush" sign is going to fit with my vision,

I have to decide on accessories for the top of the vanity, too.

I can't decide how high to hang the shower curtain rod.  There doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule.  Just base it on the length of your curtain, plus how high you want it up off the floor and add the space between the rod and the top of the curtains that the hooks take up.  If I hang it too high it'll cover the bottom of the frame of my "window".  So, I'm still debating on that little detail.  I'd like to hang it at 75", because at that height it is off the floor about 2.5", and it is a multiple of 5 and my OCD side likes that.  Anyone else like that?  No, just me? ok.  I have to have the volume on everything as a multiple of 5, too.

What is done and what is left to do: 
  • Walls and Ceiling Designer White(2 coats)
  • Prime(tinted primer 2 coats) and Paint Vanity Midnight Oil(3 coats)
    • Add Shoe Molding(Painted, just need to cut and install)
    • Fill in Missing Base Molding
  • Install Hardware on Vanity
  • Light Install
  • Frame Vanity Mirror
  • Black Toilet Seat
  • Art(Round or square frames? Lots or minimal? Details...)
  • Ceiling Design in Accent Color
  • Paint Doors with Design or just white(Definitely with design)
  • Hang Shower Curtain and Rod(Can't decide on height)
  • Find/Order Rug(Not happening, unless there is a miracle)
  • Faux Transom Window in Shower(Build Frame, Hang Floor Mirror)
  • Gold Geometric Sharpie Wallpaper Pattern on Wall

Once I get all the big projects done I'll be able to see what will look good.  You know how sometimes you can look at a space and think, "Wow, that wall could really use a big mirror."? or something like that?  It'll have to be stuff I already own, though, so I'll be shopping my house.


I don't know that I'll get a lot done this weekend.  Peanut is sick.  I thought it was just allergies, because she keeps sneezing, but she spiked a fever.  Poor Baby.  Relatives are coming up from the cities, too, so I've been getting the house ready for that and will be hanging with them this weekend, but I'll sneak in some painting.


Oh, hey and don't forget to check out the main 20 and their progress!  Things are really coming together, and I have a few favorites that I can't wait to see finished.  Plus the other 150-some bloggers linking up, along with me.  Good stuff.  Something for everybody, no matter what your style is or what you like, there will be something for you.  Promise. 2 weeks left, and I have the whole two weeks, because I don't have to have things styled and ready early for a fancy photographer.  Don't get me wrong, I wish I had a photographer family member or friend to help me out.  Ha, knowing me, I'll be taking pics with my cell on the day of the link up.


Until next week...



Love Candy



LINKING TO:


One Room Challenge Linking Participant
Calling It Home

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? I'd love to know.